The staff of the museums take pride in the flexibility of their educational programs. We are able to offer specialized tours to meet the needs of teachers and students. We also offer customized hands-on archaeology and living history experiences.
- Our education staff works directly with educators to customize tours for the maximum benefit to students
- Our specialty topics include slavery, cooking, women, architecture, and geography
- Our programming is thoroughly researched and has well-rounded framework
Archaeology at the Gallier House is one of our signature programs. The unique experience is for science students of all ages. The hands-on program was designed by our experienced staff and aligns well with S.T.E.M. standards and goals.
- The program includes an instructional visit to the classroom followed by a “dig” in the historic Gallier House courtyard.
- Students use traditional tools and techniques to measure, excavate, and document several squares of the museum courtyard
- The students get a first-hand lesson of the science necessary to hypothesize, interpret history, and build a museum!
Our education staff partner with teachers and their students to bring the people of the property to life. Through extensive research and writing, this program culminates with personal portrayals of the museums’ historic figures in this student led and scripted tour. We combine creative writing, art, acting, costume-making, and history in this multi-visit program. The lives of the various members of the Hermann, Grima, and Gallier families, free people of color, enslaved workers, the 20th-century boarding house residents and the founders of the Woman’s Exchange are all well represented in the project.
Students and teachers choose people who lived and worked at the Hermann-Grima House and, with the help of our education staff, build student-led tours around those “characters.” This program is immersive and involves research both inside and outside of the classroom.
Please contact our Education Team at (504)274-0751 or email@example.com to discuss and plan specialty tours.